The Student Liaison Program sponsors monthly meetings throughout the academic year for student reps designated by our NASH School members. This past Monday, March 17, 2014 Dr. Robert Melo from OHM Pharma (who is on a committee with HPUS) discussed the guidelines and legalities of homeopathic remedies in this country as per HPUS and FDA. The more we are all aware of this information the better we can prepare and take the necessary steps to build a strong foundation for the future growth of homeopathy in the US. The availability of compliant remedies is fundamental for our profession. Outline of his talk:
- Legal status of homeopathic remedies in USA.
- HPUS, what they do and how HPUS decisions and guidelines affect the availability and prices of homeopathic remedies.
- Manufacturing guidelines in Europe, compared to USA.
- New HPUS manufacturing guidelines, how this will affect homeopathic remedies.
- FDA and specific guidelines pertaining homeopathic remedies. FDA and HPUS relationship.
- Homeopathic dispensing and liability issues.
- Why homeopaths, industry and education must work together to see homeopathy further develop.
- Why CHC certification is important. Why is important to work to establish homeopathy as a profession.
- Why we do not have more MD’s homeopaths, even if they want to get into homeopathy.
- Why $7 is the price tag we are paying for halting the development of homeopathy.
- What can you do to help homeopathy grow, further develop and achieve scientific validity.
- Why we need a long term plan and teamwork effort in order to achieve a continuous growth for homeopathy.
Robert Melo’s Biography: Raised in a family with a history in homeopathy, where his father, uncle and elder brother were all M.D.s. with post graduate studies in homeopathy. Medical doctor trained in conventional medicine at Xavier University in Bogota and University of Miami (Jackson Memorial Hospital). After medical school he did studies in Acupuncture and Neural Therapy in Colombia. Completed studies in homeopathy at The Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, where he also got involved in the research program lead by Dr Peter Fisher (Director of Research at The Royal London Homeopathic Hospital) and Dr Flavio Dantas (Professor of Homeopathy at University of Uberlandia from Brazil, specialized in homeopathic research). Attended seminars from Prof George Vithoulkas at the School of Classical Homeopathy in Alonnisos, Greece. Attended seminars from Jan Scholten, Jeremy Sherr, Paul Herscu, Luc De Schepper, Louis Klein, Rajan Sankaran, Banerji (Banerji protocols) among others. Married Justyna Mazur, M.S. in Chemistry and Physics which has more than 10 years experience in manufacturing homeopathic remedies in compliance with FDA, DOH and HPUS. She is currently the director of Quality Control/ Quality Assurance department in OHM Pharma, Inc. Currently President of OHM Pharma, Inc., a licensed and inspected FDA manufacturing facility specialized in homeopathic remedies since the year 2000. Appointed member of the HPCUS (Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia Convention of the United States). This it the organization that maintains the policies and procedures of the official compendium (HPUS) of homeopathy manufacturing in the U.S.A. Passionate about helping professional homeopaths expand the practice of homeopathy. Respect all the different schools of thought in homeopathy. Would like to see homeopathy integrated into mainstream medicine. Would like to see research into scientific methodology that can validate the effectiveness of homeopathy.