SEND IN YOUR COMMENTS TO THE FDA BEFORE AUGUST 21ST
The US Food and Drug Administration HAS announced a 60 day extension for the submission of public comments on 80 FR 16327. The new deadline is August 21, 2015. This notice was published in the Federal Register on 06/10/2015 and available online at http://federalregister.gov/a/2015-14143.
As you know, FDA’s two-day public hearing to gather information about the current use of products labeled as homeopathic took place in late April.
The hearing focused specifically on FDA regulations of and labeling requirements for OTC homeopathic medicines.
This hearing was not held to discuss the efficacy of homeopathy, the ability of individuals to practice homeopathy or to consider the removal of homeopathic remedies from the retail market.
But, FDA panelists posed several questions about:
• Consumer attitudes about homeopathy;
• Whether or not consumers have enough information to make informed decisions about purchasing homeopathic products over the counter (OTC);
• And whether there is confusion at store shelves with placement of homeopathic medicines next to non-homeopathic medicines.
Now You Can Help
The public hearing was the first phase of information gathering for FDA. The next phase of information gathering is a public comment period – which is now open and will remain open through August 21, 2015.
YOUR assistance at this time will be invaluable!
Help us get the following messages to the FDA:
• Consumers have positive attitudes about access to over-the-counter homeopathic medicines;
• Consumers ARE able to make informed decisions about purchasing homeopathic products vs traditional OTC medications;
• Consumers want to find the right medicine for their symptoms in the appropriate category area of the store.
We encourage everyone who uses homeopathic products to take 5 minutes to submit comments to the FDA about:
• YOUR own personal position and viewpoint regarding homeopathy;
• YOUR understanding and practical knowledge regarding purchasing decisions of OTC homeopathic products.
Guidance for Submitting Comments to the FDA
1. The most effective, meaningful comments will address:
• YOUR attitudes about homeopathy and/or
• YOUR experiences making decisions about purchasing OTC homeopathic products.
Why? Because THOSE TOPICS are what FDA is interested in gathering more information about.
2. Many, many people have amazing stories to tell about how well homeopathy worked for them. For the purposes of this public comment period, those stories are going to be most meaningful when they focus on using homeopathy for common ailments that can be self-diagnosed and treated at home (like colds, allergies, headaches, minor injuries, etc.) rather than chronic or diagnosed-based conditions. Again, FDA is most interested in hearing about consumer attitudes towards and making decisions about purchasing homeopathic products in stores. Please try to limit your comments to these topics.
3. Pay attention to the length of your comments. Try to submit comments that are neither too short nor too long. For example, a comment with only a few words (like “I have no problems deciding which OTC homeopathic products to buy.”) is not really meaningful to those at FDA without some context (like an example of a purchase of an OTC homeopathic purchase that you made) for those at FDA to understand the circumstances of the decision making process. On the other hand, comments that run for pages and pages without really addressing FDA’s questions (or are tedious to read) will not be helpful to FDA’s goal of understanding consumer attitudes and experiences. So how long is just right? Just make sure your comment tells your story so that the FDA reps reading it will understand your experience. (But, if you’d like a little more guidance, we believe that comments between 300-600 words are probably going to be the most valuable.) And be sure to proofread before hitting submit!
4. Finally, remember to keep comments respectful and constructive. (Unfortunately, we have discovered that some individuals in the homeopathic community have sent very negative, disrespectful messages to FDA representatives about the hearing. We request that community members refrain from making any comments that are not respectful and constructive.)
a. Make sure to uncheck that you are submitting comment on behalf of a third party.
b. Select ‘individual consumer’ from the Category drop down menu.
Thank you in advance for your support.
Please forward this call for comment on to anyone else who you think might be interested in participating!
are due by June 30, 2015!
In loving memory of Liz Bonfig, the “heart” of NASH, the NASH Foundation has created the Elizabeth Bonfig Scholarship Fund. This annual scholarship is awarded to homeopathic students who demonstrate passion, service and commitment to the profession of homeopathy. The application is available on our website. The deadline for application is June 30, 2015. Preference is given to students who are NASH members and who attend NASH member schools. Contact na******@ho********.org with any questions.
If you would like to donate to this fund – please click here and WE THANK YOU!
Upcoming Telecasts for NASH members
Monday, July 6 – 5pm PST
Robert Field, CCH, RSHom(NA) of the Resonance School and Tanya Kell, CCH, RSHom(NA) of the Nashville School of Homeopathy will be presenting on the following:
* What brought them personally to homeopathy;
* Where did they learn homeopathy;
* What inspired them to open a school;
* What is unique about their school;
* Description of their school’s program –
How long is the course?
What percentage of class time is lecture and live cases?
Does your school offer Anatomy/ Physiolog, Disease and Pathology or do you suggest an outside course?
Wed. July 23 – 5pm (PST)
Dr. Issac Golden, author of the latest research into the effectiveness and safety of long-term homeoprophylaxis.
Members will be sent access information prior to this telecast.
Disclaimer: The content of these telecasts does not necessarily reflect the views of the Board of the North American Society of Homeopaths. The information presented in these telecasts is for general informational purposes only. While we endeavor to provide accurate and up-to-date information, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability of the information provided. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. The information provided should not be used as a substitute for advice from your personal health care practitioner.
The National Center for Homeopathy (NCH) has announced a call for proposals for the 2016 Joint American Homeopathic Conference (JAHC). The conference will be held April 8-10, 2016 in Westminster, CO (just outside of Denver). The theme for the conference is “Ascending to New Heights: Reaching the Summit with Homeopathy”. Coordination with the conference theme is not a requirement for submission, nor will it be a criterion upon which proposals are scored.
• Proposals representing a variety of content areas are welcome, such as theoretical, technical, clinical, research-based, practical, or business-related content areas.
• Most conference attendees are practitioners, students, or serious home users and are beyond the introductory level. Therefore proposals content should be tailored for intermediate or advanced audiences.
• Presentations may be designed for one or more presenters. Panel presentations will also be considered.
• Presentations should be designed for a two hour time slot, with time allotted for Q&A during that time period. Where appropriate, presentations should include at least 2 case studies.
• This call for proposals is open to anyone and speakers may submit more than one proposal.
• Proposals must be submitted online by 11:59pm ET on June 30, 2015.
• Speakers are responsible for their own travel, room, board, incidental and conference registration costs. All speakers are required to register for the conference in order to be able to speak.
We encourage anyone interested to submit a proposal. All questions concerning the RFP process should be directed to in**@ho**************.org.
-The 2016 JAHC Conference Committee
Advertising Opportunities in
The American Homeopath, Vol 21
Advertising in our journal is a great way of sharing your business with all of the supporters of NASH. You can visit our websitefor specific information or you can consult with Deborah Landowne, CCH, RSHom(NA), the NASH Advertising Coordinator for The American Homeopath at ad*********@am***************.com about the possibilities for you.
A New Member Benefit!
Archibel has announced discounts for all NASH members for RadarOpus. Click here to see what incredible values you are eligible for because you are a member of NASH.
The North American Society of Homeopaths (NASH) is dedicated to promoting, representing and serving as the voice of all professional homeopaths in North America. NASH aims to develop and uphold the highest level of excellence in homeopathic practice while enhancing the role of the homeopathic profession as an integral part of health care delivery.
Manfred, Tanya, Sarah, Julie, Anna, Laura, Myra and Carleen
The North American Society of Homeopaths has teamed up with Huntington insurance to offer our US Registered Members a Professional Liability Insurance Plan designed specifically for homeopaths.
The policy includes these important coverages:
• $1 million of Bodily Injury coverage
• Claims-made coverage of Acts, Errors, or Omissions
• Payment for all costs assessed against the Named Insured in a suit defended
• Appeal Bonds
• Attorney Fees, Costs, and Expenses from the investigation of claims
The coverage can bepurchased online once logged into the NASH website. Registered members can use the easy quoting process, easy credit card payment, and issuance of the policy. This policy is exclusively available to all US Registered NASH members who are in good standing. Policy premiums start at $125 per year. (Similar insurance coverage has previously been available for our Canadian Registered Members. FMI – click here.)
General Liability Insurance is now available with the Professional Liability Insurance policy.
Registered Member Benefit – 20% discount off Washington’s products
As a Registered Member you get 20% off of every order that you make with Washington Homeopathic Products (WHP).
WHP is one of the last of the original homeopathic pharmacies. They make and maintain all the single remedies from a stock of hundreds, and ship to individuals, veterinarians, physicians, etc. WHP also sells through over 50 distributors and does private labeling for over 35 companies.
WHP is the oldest full line homeopathic company in the United States. They strive to make just about everything and will get what you need if they don’t make it. In order to be your one stop shop, WHP has added several specialty lines from other homeopathic companies including Bach, Homeopet, Nature’s Way and Miers Labs.
Washington Homeopathic Products
260 JR Hawvermale Way
Berkeley Springs, WV 25411
Online Orders www.homeopathyworks.com
Online Scheduling Program
An On-line Scheduling Program is offering a 10% discount to NASH Registered Members. Full Slate’s scheduling software has everything you need to manage a busy schedule.
• Let your clients make their own appointments on your website and Facebook page.
• Clients can quickly see when you have availability without having to pick up the phone.
• Collect all the information you need with a custom booking form. Use predefined fields or create your own.
• Get alerted to new appointments immediately so you always know when a spot’s been filled online.
• Review each appointment request and confirm on a case-by-case basis or accept them all automatically.
The NASH Library is filled with Resources, Research, Book Reviews Link References, recordings of past conferences and past issues ofThe American Homeopath. Some areas are restricted to members only.
Elizabeth Bonfig Scholarship Fund
In loving memory of Liz Bonfig, the “heart” of NASH, the NASH Foundation has created the Elizabeth Bonfig Scholarship Fund. This annual scholarship will be awarded to homeopathic students who demonstrate passion, service and commitment to the profession of homeopathy.To donate to the Elizabeth Bonfig Scholarship Fund, please use the button below or send a check to NASH FOUNDATION, PO Box 115, Troy, ME 04987.
NASH is proud to continue the longstanding tradition of publishing The American Homeopath, the journal of the North American Society of Homeopaths. Created in 1994, this annual journal is a scholarly collection of articles, interviews, case studies, materia medica studies and more.